Here are 10 facts that you need to know about Psoriasis.Expand for Text Version
10 Interesting Facts About Psoriasis
- Psoriasis affects nearly 3 percent of the world’s population.
- It is not contagious. It can’t be spread from one person to another.
- The word “Psoriasis” has its roots in ancient Greek. “Psora” means “Itch” and “Sis” means “condition”. Making Psoriasis literally mean “Itch Condition”.
- Researchers believe that 10% of the US population has the genes to potentially develop the disease. However, only 2-3% may actually get the symptoms.
- The first symptoms of Psoriasis usually appear between the age of 10 – 35 years, although it can appear at any age.
- The most common sites of psoriasis are the scalp, elbows and knees.
- Psoriasis is not caused by poor standards of hygiene
- Psoriasis patients may lose the condition naturally for long periods of time and completely on occasions.
- Psoriasis by nature responds slowly to treatment.
- Psoriasis patients may be at risk of other chronic health conditions such as heart disease, depression, obesity, blood pressure, diabetes or cancer.