Psoriasis is a skin condition that does not pick its next victim, boys and girls from all ages and all walks in life can be afflicted by it. And if you happen to be a teenager with psoriasis and been wandering around for answers, here’s an article that could help you with your concerns.
Being a teenager with psoriasis isn’t an easy situation but it is not something impossible to manage and overcome.
The Effects of Psoriasis
A transition from being a dependent into a self-reliant and independent person is one of the most crucial attributes that characterize a teenager. All you want is to experience the things that you haven’t tried when you are once bond to your parents’ rules.
The teenage years are vulnerable to many oddities and changes that can be considered as a make or break in honing the personality of a teenager going into the adult years.
In addition to that, psoriasis not only affects the physical aspect of an individual but all the other aspects that forms the whole totality of a person. Included with that are the social, emotional, behavioral, and in some cases the spiritual aspects of a person.
It is a skin condition where you don’t want to be left alone. A support group may also be necessary in the management of this life-long skin condition illustrated with exacerbations and relapses.
Guidelines to Remember
Just like any other person with psoriasis with variable signs and symptoms, there are guidelines that you must need to follow:
- See a dermatologist. Consulting the expert for handling the nuances and discomforts associated with psoriasis is important to help you in easing the burden this skin disorder may bring.
- Learn about your condition. Do know about this disease and how to cope up and manage the flares and signs and symptoms. It is also necessary to know your own body and the potential triggers for your flare-ups. With this, you can at least prevent or minimize the severity of the flare-ups as they come.
- Get acquainted with the different treatment modalities and remedies. Know about the different methods in the management of psoriasis. Get those medications and remedies ready if you can feel that a flare-up is expected soon.
- Look for a support group. There are a lot of avenues where you can meet other people with psoriasis. This could be of great help in the acquisition of knowledge and understanding the disease a lot better. There are a lot of social media sites where psoriasis and its effects are the main topics of discussion. Here people with psoriasis would have an opportunity to share their thoughts and experiences as well as support each other in dealing with psoriasis.
Questions about your treatment
Basically, when you visit a dermatologist, he/she will ask you some personal questions and perform some tests as basis for your treatment and future progress. This is also a good time for you to tell your dermatologist all sorts of questions regarding your skin condition.
These are some possible questions and situations you may undergo:
- Asks about you and your concerns
- He/she will perform a physical exam
- Possibly, take a sample tissue for test and confirmation
- Explains your condition, treatment options and their side effects.
Treatment for psoriasis
There are lots of ways on how to treat psoriasis; however, there are only three basic categorized treatments for psoriasis:
- Topical treatment
- Light therapy
- Systemic medication
These are the treatments that you will need to discuss with your doctor , your family, and your support group and make a decision which one or the combinations that will suit you best.
But, in some case, your doctor will personally choose the best treatment with regards to the severity of your skin condition.
Naturally, some people will look at you differently and if you whole-heartedly accept your skin condition, you will take that criticism lightly. The fact that they do not understand the nature of your skin condition that makes them do things somehow in a rude way.
Your only goal in this kind of skin condition is to be in control with your yourself. When you gain control of the different aspects of your whole-being, you can overcome and hurdle any problems or obstacles that you meet through your teenage years.
Do not hesitate to ask and tell your support system what you are thinking and feeling about your situation.